I’m yet to find anybody who dislikes these beauties. There’s something pretty wonderful about homemade caramel slices that is even more decadent than the shop bought versions. Each step of making these is really straightforward but it is time consuming waiting for the caramel to cool – you really can’t add the chocolate layer while the caramel is too hot or it ruins the chocolate. Anyway, when I made these my friends all went a bit nuts for them and my boyfriend kept mentioning them until the last one was eaten (something that didn’t take very long).
To make these you will need:
- For the biscuit layer
- 175g butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 225g plain flour
- For the caramel layer
- 200g butter
- 1 397g can of condensed milk
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt (entirely optional but it adds extra depth to the caramel)
- For the chocolate layer
- 300g milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a small deep baking tin (approx 20 cm x 20cm). Rub the butter, sugar, vanilla and flour together to form the biscuit dough. Use your fingers to push this into an even layer in your baking tin. Prick this with a fork and bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Turn the oven down to 150°C and bake for a further 30 minutes, until the layer is golden brown.
- While your biscuit layer is cooling make your caramel. To do this melt your butter, condensed milk and golden syrup and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring to stop the bottom burning.
- Once the caramel is simmered stir in the salt and pour over your biscuit layer. Cool until the caramel is set.
- Melt your chocolate and spread it over the caramel.
- I like to use a form to make a slight pattern in the chocolate and to even out the layer.
- Once the chocolate has set use a sharp knife to cut this into squares.
- Serve with a cup of tea. These are particularly excellent when you’ve had a busy day or you think you deserve a treat!
2 thoughts on “Caramel slices (Millionaire’s Shortbread)”
I Loooooooooove millionaires shortbread!
I Looooooove millionaires shortbread!